Wednesday 24 November 2010

Captain's log #3387 - Steven Covey's 90/10 Principle

Thanks to Kerstin Petersen for this. Read about it here.
Had a great practice run with it today. To start, let me explain one of the little games I like to play - I beat the boredom of commuting by trying to run the tank of my car down to the last drop before I go to a petrol station to fill up again. My range after yesterday's drive home was 18 miles remaining - result!

Now picture the scene. This morning I had to run Aly into town. I also had a call with Dorothy. No problem this can be done from the car, right? Well, only if your phone is charged, of course. Which it was not. So I grabbed my laptop and a cable to be able to charge the phone while talking. Did I take a jacket? Of course not - only a short hop. Ended up sitting in a freezing car (it was -1 C this morning, with my laptop the only source of electricity AND heat, because I could not afford to run the engine for fear of running out of gas. And of course, no jacket means no wallet, no wallet means no money and no money means no gas. Got home with no feeling left in my fingers, short of time for my next call to find the long awaited workmen had arrived to fix the roof. They needed direction and (this is England after all) tea. With milk. Which we don't have in the house. Back in the car, but hang on, there was a little problem there, still no petrol.

Rest of the day turned out nice though. 90/10 proven!

No comments:

Post a Comment