Monday 15 November 2010

Captain's log #3384 - On finishing things

I am a good starter. Some years ago in my personal review my boss said: "well, of course - you are not a finisher"; so he was marking me down. I seem to remember I let that one go, although I really didn't agree then and I don't agree now.
There are starters and then there are finishers. I need to be surrounded by finishers, that's all. If I was a finisher, maybe I would not get so many things off the ground.

However.... reputations are built on results and even if you have many helpers, the drive, the will to see things through does have to exist.

What works for me these days is to follow this programme:
- float an idea and see how people react
- refine idea with input from "analyst" type people around me
- get a project team set up with the right leader
- put review points in and keep reviewing it

Above all keep asking this question:
"By when will we achieve this and that?"
If your team does not know the answer follow up with "By when will you know when you will know?"

Be reasonable but state your requirements clearly and make sure you have all, starters, analysts, implementers, doers, relationship builders, communicators, and finishers.

Tata for now

No comments:

Post a Comment