Monday 3 January 2011

Captain's log #3393 - On Bullets and Targets

Don’t put yourself between a bullet and a target.

Let’s be frank, accidents happen. We will all get hit at some time in our lives. What I am referring here to is something different; it is this – how many times have we deep-down-quiet-moment-honest set ourselves up for failure, disappointment, and sometimes disaster? How many times have we put ourselves between the bullet and the target?
Amol’s advice of “first understand, then be understood” has become a leitmotif for me during the last months (even though some of you might disagree) when interacting with my friends, family, and team. But recently I have been thinking that it should not just apply to the obvious. I concluded that it works just as well if I interpret it in a slightly different way than the obvious one.

I need to concentrate on understanding myself first before making firm decisions on important stuff. Not just looking at the figures and facts, but also listening to the quiet voice in my head which might be saying “this could be a terrible idea”.
My first ever, one and only and one-off new year’s resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment