Friday 25 February 2011

Captain's log #3398 - On Floppy Language

The easiest way to fail persuading someone is the use of floppy language.

What are the characteristics of floppy language?
  • Apologise frequently - starting sentences with "I am sorry"
  • Mumbling
  • Broken sentences with pauses, ums, ers, and other uncertainty noises
  • Letting sentences tail off into ramblings
  • Frequently using qualifiers of uncertainty "I guess, I don't know, I hope"
  • Use of submissive body language
Using this kind of language signals low self esteem.
So, what can we do?

My solution is that firstly, we should think through what we are going to say and secondly, at the same time, reflect on and plan how we are going to say it.

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry, if this does not feel ok, hmmmm... but what I really meant to say was that your particular analysis of this topic.... I guess makes sense... I don't know but I hope so... Now that's an example of floppy lang...;-) ;-)

    ReplyDelete