Thursday 28 October 2010

Captain's log #3382 - Network Wizzard

Am finally confirmed network wizzard!

For weeks whenever I wanted to connect my work laptop via wireless to the world wild web or even the Nielsen network, it worked for about 2 minutes and then deterioated very quickly. Even the new arrival (still need to find a name for the baby) did not cure this problem. A second wifi access point did actually help - but it still made no sense - you could sit 2 micrometers away from the original router and it would still not work.

Then I noticed that the security protocol on the two wifi routers was different - the original was set to WAP, the new one to WAP2. I did try to read up on this stuff, but boy - you need a degree. Anyhow, I changed it, risking total network breakdown..... but, yes - wait for it - it cured the problem! Fastest network ever (65Mb), access at the deep end of the garden and general network mania breaking out.

Now, where did I put the little scrap of paper with the network access key again?

No comments:

Post a Comment